Heather McIntyre

A Writing Space for Gender, Sexuality, and History in Film

Feminist Movement

The following is a paper I wrote for a class called Global Social Change….I chose to write about feminist movement after taking Gender & Sexuality with Tracy.   The global feminist movement has grown and seen many transformations through its… Continue Reading →

Masculinity

These readings bring to attention the opposite of previous readings, regarding women as the sexual object of desire in film. Here we learn to understand that men are seen in a narcissistic light, their characters portrayed as God-like in “male”… Continue Reading →

Fight Club and Hypermasculinity

Identify ways the film portrays masculinity (be sure to reference the readings): The movie Fight Club has two many male characters, Tyler, and the unnamed Narrator, played by Edward Norton. Initially as the Narrator, he is not conveying masculinity as… Continue Reading →

Legally Blonde

I recently re watched the movie Legally Blonde with Reese Witherspoon, I had seen the film before, when it had first come out, but decided to give it another watch. At first, Legally Blonde seems like a light-hearted comedy about… Continue Reading →

Call me Conformist: Societal pressures on all women to portray physical beauty

Although she was not the first “celebrity” to come out loud and proud of being transgendered, Caitlyn Jenner certainly paved the way for acceptance and awareness. I applaud her for being incredibly brave and potentially allowing herself to be the… Continue Reading →

New Age, Same Old Story

The reading authored by Rosalind Gill brings up interesting points, which I have never thought of before. We now are in a time of empowering women, and striving for individuality and autonomy and trying to break down gender barriers. However,… Continue Reading →

Binary Language & Feminism

The reading “Women” as the subject of feminism explores feminism boundaries and even what defines feminism or gender. First of all, it discusses the fact that gender intersects with racial, class, sexual, regional modalities of discursively constituted identities (Butler 1990)…. Continue Reading →

Feminism & Overcoming Oppression

I have seen Lemonade numerous times, and feel it evokes empowerment, but not just for women, or for African Americans, but people in general. The author in Moving Beyond Pain I feel finds the video empowering, yet is annoyed that… Continue Reading →

Female Image

The reading from Feminine Mystique was incredibly thought provoking, as a woman myself, but for anyone reading it. The book discusses pre wartime where the key to being feminine was the desire to not want education or a career, but… Continue Reading →

Speaking for Others

The article The Problem of Speaking for Others poses an incredibly interesting predicament. Overall the theme is whether it is appropriate to speak for others in terms of relaying history. Alcoff provides examples stereotypically more privileged or well off populations… Continue Reading →

« Older posts

© 2024 Heather McIntyre — Powered by WordPress

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑