The reading authored by Rosalind Gill brings up interesting points, which I have never thought of before. We now are in a time of empowering women, and striving for individuality and autonomy and trying to break down gender barriers. However, in terms of media, nothing has really changed. We are still being portrayed in the media as sexy vixen we used to. The difference now is we, the women, are presenting ourselves this way claiming it as for ourselves, rather than for a man. Gill describes this as the shift from the external, male judging gaze to a self-policing narcissistic gaze[1]. She goes on to question the pressures young women are feeling in order to undergo some of these procedures, specifically why a Brazilian wax or the invasive procedure of breast augmentation make them feel beautiful or good about themselves. This reading also spoke to me in terms of realizing how poor media is nowadays, especially reality television. With shows like the Bachelor and all its spin-offs and copycats pitting women against each other in order to marry the man in question is ridiculous. And not only that, I am confused why every contestant looks similar, very slender, large breasts, long blonde hair. This gives the impression in order to get a man to fall in love and marry you; you must look just like this. Gill discusses other styles of reality television leaving older, heavier, less beautiful women as the subject of scrutiny. The second reading by Cassandra Stover ties into this idea that society is now exploiting this idea of feminism, that we are still selling the same brand of beauty and princesses, however now the message is that women and girls are buying this idea out of autonomy, not to impress a male[2]. Disney is also still selling the same story, happily ever, breaking through oppression, but in a similar sense, using feminism to sell this idea. Although I have not seen a Disney movie in recent history, this article gives me the impression that not much has changed since the days of Sleeping Beauty.

[1] Rosalind Gill, “Postfeminist Media Culture: Elements of a Sensibility”, European Journal of Cultural Studies, 10, no. 2, (2007).

[2] Cassandra Stover, “Damsels and Heroines: The Conundrum of the Post-Feminist Disney Princess”, Lux: A Journal of Trans disciplinary Writing and Research from Claremont Graduate University, 2, no. 1, (2013).